As time goes by, teams change, players change, places change and spirits change, but all that’s left is the record. In this post, we’ll take a look back over cricket’s history to discover the top 10 best teams in the world. Generation after generation, teams change, but the spirit of the team endures.
Team rankings remain unchanged in spite of changing players for this reason. The result is that I have the opportunity to rank the teams based on their achievement throughout the past century.
- Australia. The stats tell everything. Australia has a win percentage of 64.73 in One-Day Internationals and 46.71 in Test matches. Throughout history, Australia has been the no. 1 cricket team in the world. 5 world cup titles (in 1987, 1999, 2003, 2007, and 2015). The Australian team showed its dominance and superiority in cricket. Australia has maintained its top position on the charts with a significant margin.
- India. Compared to Australia Team records, India may not be even close to Cricket Australia, but the Indian cricket team has managed to become the no 2 cricket team in the world. The country has won two World Cups (1983 and 2011) as well as the T20 World Cup (2007).
- SriLanka. According to statistics, Sri Lanka has less Test match experience than Australia and India, In terms of ODIs, however, it is not far behind. Having won one World Cup (1996), having qualified for the World Cup finals twice (both 2007 and 2011), as well as T20 finals (2009). Statistically, Sri Lanka ranks as the no 3 teams. For all three formats of the game, the Sri Lankan team holds the record for a higher team total.
- Pakistan. Pakistan cricket team has an excellent win percentage in one-day internationals and tests, including one World Cup (1992) and one T20 World Cup (2009). The no 4 spots are occupied by Pakistan. Four times, this team made it to the semis (1979, 1983, 1987, 2011) in World cups.
- West Indies. In both ODIs and Tests, the Windies Cricket Team has performed well. WestIndies team has won two World Cupchampionships (1975, 1979), reached the final in World Championship 1983, made it to the semis in the 1996 World Cup, and reached the quarterfinals in the 2011 WC. In terms of statistics, West Indies claim the no 5 places.
- England. The English cricket team, known as the pioneers in the game, won the 2019 world cup and the T20 World Cup in 2010. The team is a three-time world finalist (1979, 1987, 1992) and has twice made the semi-finals (1975, 1983). England team maintains to get the no 6 spots.
- South Africa. A favorite team, the Proteas has yet to win a World Cup in spite of reaching the Semifinals thrice (1992, 1999, 2007), to the Quarterfinals twice (1996, 2011), and to the T20 semifinals once (2009). Thus, they were called ‘chokers’. The South African team ranked no. 7 on the list.
- New Zealand. The performance of this team in terms of winning percentage is not so impressive and although they did make it to the finals in the 2019 ODI world cup, semi-finals of the T20 World Cup 2007, and once Quarterfinal of the World Championship 1996. New Zealand is ranked #8 on the list.
- Zimbabwe. Although, Zimbabwe hasn’t played particularly well, and this is evident from the statistics. The team manages to grab the no 9 spot due to better overall statistics than Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh. Although Bangladesh has been improving in recent years, its past record does not lift it above any 10 spots.